Saturday, July 9, 2011

PM Sun. June 5th - AM Mon. June 6th Observing Notes 2

  (Catch-Up Notes) - After doing some lunar observing and taking photos through the eyepiece I left the telescope outside, and the dew caught up to it. By the time I went out to try to do some variable star work the big corrector lens in the front of the tube was fogged over. I had no choice but to take it inside and let it un-fog for a few hours. I didn't get it back outside until after midnight. It was still mostly clear but a little hazy. At zenith I could only see stars down to 4.3 magnitude and the limit through the telescope was 13.2 magnitude at best. I was outside between 1:35 AM - 2:40 AM and was able to make 5 variable star estimates before calling it a night. All of the stars I observed were YSO types. A couple of Bullfrogs were crooning away at a pond a few blocks away from us. Here are the estimates made tonight:

  1:52 AM (5:52 UT June 6) - VSX J182726.0-043447 was 11.5 magnitude. This is the star I call "Skiff's Star" for short, in the constellation Scutum. It seemed to be just barely dimmer than the 11.4 star nearby but much brighter than the nearby 12.0 star. I think this YSO dimmed just a little since I looked at it 2 nights before but this is iffy!

  2:04 AM (6:04 UT June 6) - WW Vulpeculae was 10.5 magnitude. It looks like this YSO brightened just a little since last week. I still haven't caught it taking a rapid plunge-and-recovery in brightness in two years of observing it; something it's known to do rarely. 

  2:16 AM (6:16 UT June 6) - SV Cephei was 10.6 magnitude. This is my first look at this YSO since observing it regularly last summer. Like the others, I still haven't caught a big dimming episode yet. 

  2:26 AM (6:26 UT June 6) - BO Cephei was 11.7 magnitude. This was another star I observed regularly all last summer. Mike Poxon suggested it to me then, but this YSO hasn't seemed to vary much yet. I did catch it dimmed to 12.0 magnitude early last September. 

   2:37 AM (6:37 UT June 6) - YZ Cephei was 11.5 magnitude. I observed this YSO regularly last summer also, and it shows a lot of small, quick changes in brightness. This was my first look at it this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment